15-20 Hours Per Week
$17.25 / hr
Have a knack for baking? Do you love the way a carrot cake smells as it bakes? Consider becoming a Baker’s Assistant II at the Rashida Sawyer Bakery!
Previous experience in a commercial bakery is a plus! However, if you are a serious home baker, and have a passion for dessert, then you are encouraged to apply! The Baker’s Assistant II is the main support for the Head Baker. You will be a comrade and a trusted confidant! This position is responsible for assisting with ingredient prep, baking, cleaning, and organization.
It is important that this person takes note of supplies and ingredient inventory; communicating this information effectively to the ordering manager as needed.
Additionally, our Baker’s Assistant II has a discerning taste palette. You are good at detecting minor errors in recipe prep as you go along. You love ensuring the quality of RSB’s products! And you are up to not only keen to food & safety regulations but also RSB’s high standards!
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES (80%):
- Will work daily with mixers and ovens for preparing recipes and baking goods.
- Will work daily to ensure proper ingredient measurement and preparation.
- Will work to ensure that cake decoration staff has proper frosting and baked elements.
- Flexibility to fill in for Head Baker as needed.
- Next day prep and setting agenda for baking priorities.
SECONDARY RESPONSIBILITIES (20%):
- Awareness of RSB offerings, sales, promotions, and stock items.
- Serve as backup for base frosting cakes.
- Create supply orders for approval.
- Perform occasional quality control to ensure baked goods are at RSB standards.
- Wash dishes, sweep and tidy the kitchen, and dispose of garbage and recycling.
- Assist with set up and tear down on site or at an event location if needed.
- All positions at RSB are cross-trained to assist on the sales floor. As such, a tidy, approachable, and professional appearance is required.
- High School Diploma and/or GED preferred but not required.
- Completion of culinary arts coursework preferred but not required.
- Previous baking experience (including home baking) is preferred but not required.
- Must know way around ovens and culinary tools such as mixers (training will be provided).
- Experience with food safety rules or food safety coursework preferred but not required.
- Must be able to lift and carry 25-50lbs.
- Must possess excellent math and problem-solving skills.
- Must have a working understanding of different units of measure.
- Must be able to stand for entirety of shift, except for mandated breaks. (Cushioned floor supports will be provided as needed)
- Must be comfortable bending, climbing, reaching, stooping, and moving quickly.
- Ability to read, write, and speak in English is required.
- Must be dependable, reliable, and able follow instructions while maintaining pleasant demeanor.
- Ability to adhere to RSB dress code and personal grooming standards is required.
- Must possess excellent communication skills.
- Ability to remain calm in high-pressure situations is required.
- Ability to work the early morning to mid-Afternoon shift, with occasional evenings, weekends, and holidays is required.